January 6, 2014

Stuffed Muffins



So, I have to share something with y'all about my hubs. He's not one for grand resolutions to declare at the beginning of the year. In fact, when I asked him, he literally said, "poop more". When I pressed him further, he added, "world peace". First of all, hilarity. (Is that just me? Has working in the middle schools sent us back a few decades on the what is funny spectrum? Hope not.) Second of all, I realized that the reason he doesn't make grand resolutions is because he is continually working on little things all. the. time. Like almost in that annoying way that adults are supposed to. Sheesh.


It is a typical response for him to say something like "eh, last night was a lot, can we go easy on breakfast this morning?" (compare this to my "lets eat DONUTS today!!!!!!") So these muffins were a nice compromise for breakfast when all I wanted was sugar and syrup and all the sweetness. And I really did try to tempt him with donuts, he wouldn't budge.



I stuffed them with apple and carrots and pumpkin. And was pleased that they use less than a cup of sugar. Also, I was pleased that the recipe made ten so I froze some for later. Hooray for food prep in 2014! I made this with all white flour, but you could probably swap half for wheat in order to have a heartier/thicker muffin in the end. Either way, top with brown sugar before baking for a nice sweet crunch that is delish, but won't plunge you into a sugar crash after an hour or two.


Stuffed Muffins

1c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4c sugar
1/4c dark brown sugar
1 smallish egg
1/2c buttermilk
1/4c pumpkin
1/3c grated apple (skin on)
1/3c grated carrots

preheat oven to 450F
prep and oil muffin pan

1. in small bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon
2. in another bowl cream butter and sugar
3. add egg and mix until completely combined
4. mix in pumpkin
5. slowly add buttermilk, and mix
6. add flour mixture to sugar mixture and stir until just incorporated
7. fold in carrots and apples
fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way
(optional: sprinkle the tops with 1/2 tsp brown sugar)
bake at 450F for ten minutes
lower temp to 400F and bake for ten minutes more
check muffins with toothpick for doneness
let cool about 2-3 minutes, then remove from pan and enjoy!

L




Linking up with Molly today!
Happy Monday!





still being [molly]

2 comments:

  1. those look fabulous! I feel bad for making cupcakes now~
    Marie @
    In Our Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks! Don't feel bad about cupcakes, I probably would have chosen those myself, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...